- Glycogen: Normal
- Morphology: 20 nm particle
- Glucose units
- Chains: α-1,4-glucosidic linkage
- Branches: α-1,6-glucosidic linkage
- Protein core: Glycogenin
- Glycogen Phosphorylase (PYGM)
- Removes glucose residues from α-(1,4)-linkages within glycogen molecules
- Product of reaction: Glucose-1-phosphate.
- Converts glucose-1-phosphate to glucose-6-phosphate.
- Skeletal muscle: Glucose-6-phosphate is then metabolized by the glycolytic pathway
- Diseases: CDG1t; GSD14
- Phosphorylase b kinase
- Reactivates phosphorylase by phosphorylating it
- Debrancher enzyme
- Removes glucose from branch points (α-(1,6)-linkages) within glycogen